Progress Energy recognizes the importance of water to the communities and regions where we work. We engage our neighbours and other stakeholders regarding respectful and sustainable water use. A responsible and efficient approach to the sourcing, use, transport and disposal of water throughout our operations is essential to our success.
Our industry’s water use in British Columbia is regulated by the BC Oil and Gas Commission and the Ministry of Environment
- We meet or exceed the regulatory requirements for safe and sustainable water sourcing
- Upon selecting water sources, effort is made to choose sources that are:
- Sustainable – sources that replenish through the annual water cycle.
- Abundant – volume of water used is expected to be a very small percentage of the total system
- Local – selecting sources that are as close to field operations as possible reduces other surface impacts such as trucking and construction of pipelines
- We track and report stored water volumes and water usage for all of our operations
- We educate our employees, contractors and service providers to make conscious and responsible decisions that reduce daily water consumption
- We are partners in Geoscience BC’s Montney Water Project, a collaborative effort with Geoscience BC, Industry, and the Government to provide a comprehensive inventory of water sources in the Montney area